We are excited that you are considering the City of Pooler as the future home for your business! The Business Registration Department’s goal is to provide friendly and professional services to all of City of Pooler’s business owners. The Business Registration Department is responsible for all Occupational Tax Certifications (Business Licenses), Alcohol Licensing, and other special permits.

Phone: 912-748-7261


All businesses with a physical location or organizations planning to conduct business (certain restrictions apply – see local ordinance for details) within the City of Pooler are required to pay an annual Occupational Tax Certificate (Business License) fee. Our fees are based on the number of employees (please refer to the application for the fee schedule). A Business Registration Application must be completed and submitted to the Occupational Tax Clerk for review and approval.

Below you will find the Business Registration Application. The application provides you with a checklist that needs to be reviewed carefully to ensure all necessary supporting documentation is provided when the application is submitted.

Upon submission of your application, it will be forwarded to our Building and Zoning Department for review. A Building/Life Safety inspection is required for any existing spaces or buildings prior to the issuance of an Occupational Tax Certificate. Any building or space that has been newly constructed or renovated within the past six (6) months is not required to be inspected.

Link to City ordinance for Occupational Tax -

Business Registration Application – General Businesses.pdf


There are two categories for Home-Based businesses; Home Occupation and Home-Based business offices (telephone use only). These are required to meet a list of criteria (provided with the application) and homeowners must ensure that there are no restrictive subdivision covenants prohibiting business offices. The application is below and it must be filed with the Occupational Tax Clerk. After submission, the application will be reviewed by the Building & Zoning Department for any applicable zoning restrictions. Home occupation permits may be renewed annually as long as the operation continues to follow the home occupation parameters.

Link to City ordinance for Home Based Businesses:

Business Registration Application – Home-based Businesses.pdf


Beginning January 12, 2022 all new Alcoholic Beverage applications will need to be submitted online via the Georgia Department of Revenue website. Once the initial online application is submitted please call the Occupational Tax Specialist to provide notification of your submitted application. Please follow the instructions on the application to perform your background check and fingerprints. If fingerprinting services are unavailable please contact us. All required forms need to be filled out, notarized and returned to City Hall with payment. All applications will be reviewed by Building & Zoning, Police Chief, and final approval will be given by the Mayor and Council at a scheduled Council meeting which will require the applicant’s attendance. Please use the link below to access the website:

Alcoholic Beverage License application:

Alcoholic Beverage License.pdf

Effective November 15th, 2021, City of Pooler’s Mayor and Council approved a new ordinance to amend Chapter 6 Alcoholic Beverages. Below you will find the link to the approved ordinance which is effective immediately.

(Link to Ordinance)




All restaurants or local businesses who are applying for or in possession of the Retail Liquor/Sell by the Drink only license will need to submit a monthly Liquor (Distilled Spirits) by the Drink Excise Tax Return. Below you will find the required form. This tax return must be filed and paid by the 20th of the month following the period for which the tax is due to avoid penalty and interest. Failure to pay the tax by the due date will result in the imposition of penalty and interest. If the 20th falls on a weekend or Federal Holiday the return needs to be filed and paid, or postmarked, by the following business day. Any questions regarding this please contact Demeshia Coleman, Finance Coordinator, at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Link to City Ordinance for Mixed Drink Excise Tax –

Liquor (Distilled Spirits) By the Drink Excise Tax Return.pdf

BUSINESSES WITH NO LOCATION IN THE STATE OF GEORGIA (i.e. out of state contractors, out of state property owners)

A business license with the City of Pooler will be required if an out of state business does not have a licensed location in the State of Georgia and they will have one or more employees or agents who exert substantial efforts within the jurisdiction of the city for the purpose of soliciting business or serving customers/clients. This also includes anyone who owns personal or real property which generates income and which is located within the jurisdiction of the City.

General Business Application

Link to Ordinance for Business with no location in the State



A special event is any activity occurring upon private or public property that affects the ordinary use of public streets, rights-of-way, or sidewalks. This includes, but is not limited to, fairs, festivals, foot runs, and bicycle runs. A special event application must be submitted no later than 30 days prior to the proposed event. Each application will be considered for approval by the Pooler City Council at a regular meeting. If approved, a permit will be issued upon payment of the $300 application fee. Permits are valid for 30 days.

City Ordinance for Special Event Permits

Special Event Permit Application Form.pdf


This application must be received in our office at least 30 days before your scheduled event. This permit is issued to individuals, companies, or organizations, including non-profits, hosting an event that will serve alcohol at an establishment, business, or location in the City that does not currently hold a valid alcoholic beverage license. These temporary/special event permits will only be issued for events being held on Mondays through Saturdays and are prohibited on Sundays. Permits will be issued for a maximum of two days at the rate of $100 per day. Companies and organizations, including non-profits, are also required to obtain a State Special Event permit through the Georgia Department of Revenue website before the event. Per state law, companies and organizations that obtain the local and state license will be required to purchase alcohol directly from wholesalers and NOT from local liquor stores. Please note that this state law does not apply to individuals hosting private events (i.e. weddings, birthdays, etc.), but a local license will still be required.

Temp Special Event Permit Dispensing Alcohol.pdf


Applicants for entertainment permits must be at least 21 years of age and be the owner or general manager of an establishment with an active City of Pooler alcohol license. The applicant shall first complete an application form as provided by the Occupational Tax Clerk. The Chief of Police and Zoning Administrator should review and investigate the initial applicant for such. The conditions for approval or denial are found in our City ordinance.

Link to City Ordinance for Live Entertainment Permit –

Live Entertainment Permit Application.pdf


All persons, firms or corporations that want to engage in the business of soliciting in the City of Pooler must first obtain a permit in accordance with the provisions contained in Article VII of the Code of Ordinances, see link below. This applies to door-to-door solicitations for commercial transactions for profit only. In no event shall a permit be valid for more than 30 days. All applications have a checklist on the first page, please review this carefully and make sure that you submit all the required documentation to the Occupational Tax Clerk. A permit will be issued after it has been reviewed and approved by appropriate personnel.

Link to Ordinance for Door to Door Sales Permit:

Door to Door Sales Permit Application.pdf


We are happy to announce that you can now process and pay your  Occupational Tax Renewal online at A 3% convenience fee will be assessed on all online payments.  Please allow 7-10 business days for processing. If you have any questions please call our office at (912) 748-7261 or email at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..



The Occupation tax (Business License) fees shall be payable January 1 of each year. All renewal applications will be sent out between October and November of the previous year for all active licenses and permits. Every year each business will need to fill out the renewal form completely. Below you will find link to our Renewal ordinance and all the necessary forms. See below FAQ #7 for description of penalties if tax remains unpaid.

Occupational Tax Renewal


The Alcoholic Beverage License renewal for 2023 is now open. Below you will find the links to the required forms to process your renewal. Due to the changes made to our ordinance, which became effective November 15th, 2021, this year and going forward ALL Alcoholic Beverage licenses must be paid in full by December 13th to avoid a 25% penalty. After this date, businesses will only have until December 31st, to pay their renewal fees with penalties. However, if it remains unpaid by January 1st ALL alcohol sales MUST stop and a new application must be submitted with a new background check and all procedures for new applications will be required. NO alcoholic beverage sales will be allowed during this new reapplication process until the Mayor and Council have approved the licensee again during a regularly scheduled council meeting.

Alcoholic Licensing Ordinance

Alcoholic Beverage License Renewal Application

Sunday Sales Affidavit.pdf


How long does the process take for a Business Registration application?

Every application received by the Occupational Tax Clerk must be reviewed for accuracy and further submitted to the Building & Zoning Department for approval. This process could take up to 7 business days to receive a response.

How long does the process take for an Alcohol Beverage License Registration application?

This application may take longer and it all depends on when the application is submitted. These applications have to be reviewed for accuracy by the Occupational Tax Clerk. If all information is accurate, it will further be forwarded to the Building and Zoning Department for review and approval. If approved, it is then processed by the City Clerk and will be scheduled for the next available Council meeting for consideration by Mayor and Council. The applicant will be notified when the Council meeting will take place. Once approved by Mayor and Council, the license will be issued on the next business day upon receipt of payment.

What if my business is already established and I only need a change of ownership?

Any change of ownership of a business will result in the termination of said business and the establishment of a new business. Therefore, a new Business Registration application and, if applicable, a new Alcohol Beverage License Registration application would need to be submitted and the process is the same of a new business for both applications. The applications must be submitted within 30 days from the change of ownership to the Occupational Tax Clerk.

How are fees calculated for the yearly Occupational Tax (Business License)?

Type of License Fees Additional Fees
Door to Door Sales Permit (per solicitor/30 days max) $200.00 $50.00 per day
Live Entertainment Permit (annual) $100.00 N/A
Special Event Permit (30 days max) $300.00 N/A
Temporary Special Event Permit - Dispensing Alcohol (2 days max/fee per day) $120.00 N/A

Are there any location restrictions for the issuance of an Alcohol Beverage License?

No alcoholic beverages shall be kept for sale or given away anywhere within 100 yards of any school ground, college campus or church. Zoning restrictions may apply.

Are there any penalties imposed for unpaid license or tax fees and when are they applied?

The registration and occupation tax shall be payable January 1 of each year if it remains unpaid for 90 days from the due date, the person liable for the tax shall be subject to and pay a penalty of 10% of the tax due and an additional penalty of 1.5% of the occupation tax for each additional month or fraction thereof of delinquency. Penalties are added to unpaid licenses on April 1st of every year.

What type of payments are accepted?

All applications can be paid by Debit/Credit card (Amex & Discover not accepted), Checks, Money Orders, Cashier’s Checks and Cash.  **Due to Covid-19, temporarily and as a courtesy for new applications ONLY, we will be able to process a debit/credit card payments over the phone.**

How can I make changes to my license (i.e. mailing address, location address, business name)?

All request for changes must be submitted in writing. However, there are certain changes that may require additional documentation. Please contact the Occupational Tax Clerk for more information at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it..

What if I am no longer in business, sold the business, moved out of the area or need to terminate my license for any reason?

It is very important that if you are no longer operating a business in the City of Pooler and need to cancel your license, that you submit the Application to Terminate a Business to the Occupational Tax Clerk. Below you will find the required application. Please submit your form to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. as soon as possible to avoid potential penalties for non-payment.

Terminating a Business Notification


If you have any questions please contact the Business Registration office in the Finance Department call (912) 748-7261 ext. 109. Hablamos español.

City of Pooler, GA | 100 SW US HW 80, Pooler, GA 31322
City Hall: (912) 748-7261
Police Department: (912) 748-7333